Your throat starts to hurt and you start to get a cough..you try to ignore it, but you just can’t shake the sick feeling, and you know that a cold is coming on. Been there? I am there right now and getting sick is not it my agenda!
That’s why I’m going to show you an amazing healing juice that can help prevent sickness when you feel it coming on, or truly help speed up the healing process if you are in the midst of sickness. It always helps me a ton!
The back story of healing juice:
(It’s short I promise)
When I was in high school I did a lot of musical theatre. During the performance weeks, backstage was a breeding ground for sickness with everyone in such close proximity. When my friends and I would inevitably contract some kind of sore throat, “flem,” or cough, my mom would always make us this juice creation I like to call “healing juice.” It’s a pretty intense juice, due to the high ginger content, so my friends and I would take “shots” of it before going on stage.
This juice concoction has always stuck with me because it truly does help so much with cold symptoms.
Lately there has been so much sickness junk going around school and my house. A couple of days ago I started to get a runny nose..and then a sore throat..and then my voice started going. That’s when I fired up the juicer to make some healing juice.
What makes this juice “healing?”
- High Vitamin C content: Vitamin C is known to help support the bodies defenses, which you definitely need when sick. The oranges and lemons in this juice are packed with Vitamin C. Also, lemons have been reported to reduce the strength of the cold and flu virus! Read more here.
- Ginger: Ginger is pretty much the star of this show. Fresh ginger looks pretty weird, but it’s super cheap and easy to come by. Drinking ginger juice with seriously help cut through your congestion and mucus/flem.
- Cayenne: “Wait, what? you want me to drink Cayenne pepper, Cass??” Yep. “Cayenne contains a powerful ingredient called capsaicin. This compound is an effective anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent. When you take cayenne to treat your sore throat, you’ll experience relief as far as reduced swelling but also healing as it eliminates infection.” (read more here.) It’s a bit spicy, but when you really need relief from a sore throat, it’s totally worth it.
- Honey: Yep, our friend honey is back for another Life With Cass recipe. Honey works magic in this juice because it’s a natural antibiotic for your body, as well as super soothing for your inflamed and scratchy throat.
- ACV: Apple cider vinegar is right up there with ginger in incredible ingredients. I will personally testify that ACV has kept my sickness from progressing on many occasions. It is so effective at fighting off oncoming colds and viruses.
Is this juice difficult to make?
This juice is seriously so easy to make. Just throw the apples, oranges, lemons, and ginger in the juicer. Then add the honey and cayenne and ACV. I prefer to add the honey, cayenne, and ACV to each serving, so I can customize it to how much heat I can take that day. (Measurements are in the recipe card below)
I will warn you that if you choose to add ACV, this stuff is pretty intense. But, I’d much rather take a shot of this than liquid cold medicine, any day. Plus, the slight burn makes me feel like it’s doing it’s job, 😉
So bookmark or Pin this page for the next time a cold starts to sneak up on you! Let me know how this healing juice works for you if you decide to give it ago.
Stay well friends!
- 3 Oranges
- 2 Large Apples (or 3 small)
- 3 Lemons
- 1/2 cup of ginger root (you can really just eyeball this and customize it to your taste preference)
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar (or less if you're not accustomed to the taste)
- Juice produce Items and add in the cayenne, honey, and ACV individually per serving.
- This juice will keep for about 3 days in the fridge.