So we all know that smoothie bowls are all the rage and taking over Instagram, right?
These look pretty and tasty, but the real question is:
Do you actually have the time and resources to make one?
Yes, yes you do! Why? Because smoothie bowls are one of the most customizable foods! You can use whatever you have in your fridge. Got some kale? Throw it in! want to use up those brown bananas? Put ’em in there. Smoothie bowls don’t have to be complicated.
Smoothie bowls range from rich, chocolate smoothie bowls to green smoothie bowls. I’m going to show you how I make my “go to” smoothie bowl that is packed full of nutritious and energizing ingredients.
Why I love smoothie bowls for breakfast:
I have found that if I load up the top of my smoothie bowl with foods that have good fats, sugars, and carbohydrates, I stay full until lunch time! It’s the perfect way to have something super tasty for breakfast that is also full of nutrients and things that will give your tummy and body something to run on until lunch!
They are also fast and easy! Just throw all your ingredients in a blender, pour it in a bowl, and load it up! It will take you 5 minutes, max!
So what’s in this smoothie bowl of yours, Cass?
- Banana: High in fiber and potassium, bananas are the perfect way to start your day with a some healthy sugars!
- Frozen berries: Berries have tons of antioxidants and vitamin c. I use frozen berries in my smoothie bowl so that I don’t have to use ice. Don’t worry about loosing nutrients because the berries are frozen frozen berries actually tend to have more nutrients than fresh!
- Avocado: Avocados are full of nutrients, but their most awesome benefit is their high amount of omega-3 fatty acids! 1/2 an avocado has 10-15 grams of fat (the good kind!). It sounds strange to put an avocado in your smoothie, but just trust me on this one! It makes the texture so smooth and the taste is completely concealed by the berries.
- Coconut water: Did you know that coconut water has an incredible amount of potassium?! It also contains easily digested carbohydrates, perfect for starting off your day. Read more about coconut water in this awesome article!
- Chia seeds and flax seeds: These guys have tons of fiber in them! Read more about their benefits in my green smoothie recipe.
- Goji berries: These guys have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit! They also have powerful antioxidants. Read more about Goji berries in this article.
Let’s make a smoothie bowl:
- Add the banana, berries, avocado, flax seeds, chia seeds, and coconut water to the blender.*
- Blend for about 2 minutes. You’ll want the texture to be thick, but very smooth.
- Then top away! You can add whatever you wish to the top, I find the more I top it with, the fuller I feel, especially mentally.
*measurements in recipe card below.
Grab a spoon and eat this guy up! (and don’t forget to post your beautiful creation on Instagram!)
- 1 Banana (reserve 1/4 for topping)
- 1 Cup of frozen berries
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 cup of coconut water (substitute juice or almond milk)
- Sprinkle of chia seeds
- Sprinkle of flax seeds
- Goji berries
- Coconut chips
- 1/4 banana
- Add banana, berries, avocado, coconut water, chia seeds, and flax seeds to blender.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes. (add more coconut water if too thick.)
- Top with banana slices, coconut chips, goji berries, and honey. (leave out the honey if you want to keep it vegan)
- This recipe extremely customizable! Feel free to use whatever is in your fridge/pantry at the moment.