I know what you’re thinking, “Hot chocolate with no dairy?? There is no way that can be good.”
But alas, friends, I have successfully created that dairy-free hot chocolate that pleased my dairy/sugar loving taste buds. This absolutely matches up to the thick and sweet texture and taste of milk based hot chocolate!
Along with no dairy in the recipe, there is minimal to zero refined sugar! How
is that you ask? Well, the combination of coconut cream, cocoa powder, honey, and a bit of chocolate makes the perfect combination of rich and sweet.
Thanks to our friend coconut cream* this drink is crazy thick and creamy. Those awesome antimicrobial compounds that are in coconut oil are also in coconut cream! That means that you’re helping your immune system/organs, while drinking hot chocolate say whaaat! Read more about coconut cream benefits in this awesome article.
*A note about coconut cream: be sure to purchase coconut cream and not coconut milk or cream of coconut. Different things! Coconut cream is sold in a can right next to the canned coconut milk. If you can’t find it or only have coconut milk, stick your can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, and the cream with rise to the top. You can then just skim the cream off of the milk.
Depending on what kind of chocolate you choose to use, you can make this recipe with zero refined sugar. This hot chocolate is a rich, decadent treat that you can enjoy without the guilt that comes after sugar binging (trust me, the sugar-binging guilt is real).
I find this drink is very satisfying for you when you feel like you NEED a sugar fix. So hold up- don’t shove those Oreos in your mouth- instead give this hot chocolate a go.
You’ll need almond milk, coconut cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, honey, and the chocolate of your choice. (measurements are below in the recipe card).
Shake the coconut cream in the can well. It will still be pretty separated so you will need to pour it into a bowl and whisk or stir it with a fork until it is well combined, and a creamy consistency. Store the coconut cream in a sealed container and it will last for 7 days.
Add your almond milk and coconut cream to a sauce pan over medium heat.
Then add the rest of your ingredients and let the mixture come to a simmer.
Himalayan salt adds an awesome kick and really brings out the sweet flavors.
And there’s your sweet treat! Enjoy your rich, creamy, flavor packed hot chocolate! Let me know what healthy snack hits the spot for you when you’re craving something sweet!
- Healthy Hot Chocolate (dairy free)2016-01-21 17:18:56Serves 1Hot chocolate
- 1 cup of almond milk (or any other dairy-free milk)
- 1/4 cup of coconut cream (not coconut milk, coconut cream, there is a difference)
- 1 Tbs of your favorite dairy-free chocolate (it can be whichever your favorite cocoa percentage is)*
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Feel free to add some cayenne if you're feelin' spicy! It pairs great with the cinnamon
- *if you choose to use chocolate with no sugar, up the honey to 2 Tbs.
Life With Cass http://lifewithcass.com/
- First, shake your coconut cream well, and then transfer it into a bowl. Mash/whisk the separated solid and liquid until it becomes a cream.
- Combine almond milk and coconut cream in sauce pan and heat on medium until it simmers.
- Whip milk with whisk.
- Then add chocolate, cocoa, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until well combined.