Recently I’ve seen a lot of “Samoa” inspired recipes going around Pinterest (you know, that totally delicious Girl Scout cookie with the cookie, chocolate, caramel and coconut). It prompted me to create these gorgeous brownies!
I found this recipe for coconut cream caramel a while back and these brownies seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out! Since I’ve gone dairy free (read about why I’m dairy free in this post), I am so fascinated in trying out new recipes with dairy replacements. My experience has been that most of the time you can totally make food without dairy that tastes just as delicious as food with dairy! You just have to get a little bit creative.
To be honest, these brownies were very much an experiment for me, but they turned out so yummy!
I can’t take full credit for these brownies though, because I basically just merged 2 amazing recipes and put my little twist on them. (Brownie recipe based on this one from Taste and Tell & caramel recipe from this recipe)
I was kind of expecting a more traditional brownie texture with a thick caramel sauce. But, these turned out to be super fudgy and very cake like, which I love! The caramel sauce was slightly runnier than I had planned for, but it worked out really well because it seeped in the brownies, making them even more moist.
Grab a fork, because these brownies are moist and oh so rich. They have an intense chocolate content with lots caramel flavor and hints of coconut. They would pair beautifully with some coconut or almond milk vanilla ice cream.
I hope you decide to give these brownies a go! They are a crowd pleaser, and I guarantee no one will know they are gluten free and dairy free!
What’s your go to dessert? Let me know in the comments!
- ½ cup all purpose gluten free flour (original recipe calls for coconut flour)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup dairy free butter (Original recipe calls for unsalted butter)
- ½ cup semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes or shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt coconut oil, butter, and chocolate chips in a separate bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and honey to melted ingredients and stir well.
- Mix eggs and coconut milk together, then add to your chocolate mixture.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet and stir until there are no lumps.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Combine coconut cream and coconut sugar in a sauce pan and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the vanilla and coconut chips and remove from heat.
- Leave caramel sauce in the fridge until completely cool and thick.
- Pour caramel sauce on top of the brownies and add extra chocolate or coconut if desired.
- Original Brownie recipe here: http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/coconut-flour-brownies/
- Orginal Caramel recipe here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Make-Easy-Coconut-Caramel-Sauce-/10000000205746625/g.html?roken2=ti.pUmVnaW5hIEJyYXVu